« Home | Expense Calculator - Session 6 » | Expense Calculator - Session 5 » | Expense Calculator - Session 4 » | Expense Calculator - Session 3 » | Expense Calculator - Session 2 » | Expense Calculator - Session 1 » | Expense Calculator Started » | Hibernate Mappings & Encapsulated Collections » | My Desk » | Using Agile Practices »

My First Tryst with Digital Asset Management

Just in the past week I have been offered an opportunity to make myself more acquainted with
Digital Asset Management. I have been working on java j2ee projects for a studio , on assignment/s for the company that I work for.

Now this was a great opportunity because it helps me go into the business side of things also
which is as important as the techie side. Why? Read "Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions by Luke Hoffman".

So the key question was how do i start? Thats the most difficult part always. Then I thought the best way to get an overview woudl be to assume that I am gonna buy a DAM Solution :-) . What would I do? Thats the best way to learn things. Try buying a camera or a laptop or a car and you learn so many things.

Then I looked up the net and found an interesting article from which I can summarize the following:

Digital Asset Managment has 3 key meanings: Something that is in electronic form is owned by me , I own lots of it and now I m trying to manage it. Go furtther you see this electronic form is nothing but media aka content. So I started to find the meaning of media and ....heres what i get ....

What is media? Media is something that holds content.It can be of different forms:
artwork, logos, audio files, video files, even PPTs , text docs, emails probably.

Any such media if converted to binary (digital) form makes it digital media. A whole
set of digital media that an organization owns becomes its asset.

Studies show that lots of productive time is spent in managing these assets. Typically
searching for it, moving it to other teams (clients/suppliers).

A DAM solution then is one which provides you better management of assets such that
the productivity loss is minimized. It can provide many benefits such as efficent look up,
availability on demand, automated workflow, better collaborative environment etc.

Based on the objective of a DAM Solution one can classify it into desktop solutions,
process oriented, merchant centric solutions etc.

Based on architecture, DAM Solutions can be classified into media catalogs and asset
repositories.

You can either buy an off the shelf DAM solution, build one yourself if your business
has such unique needs or with expertise in complex system integration use best of the
breeed.

Add to the above 3, the needs of your users, weed out the inefficiences in the current
workflow and then try to identify the DAM solution.

Now Look closely at your archiving needs. Analyze them in detail. This will be a key
factor which is often overlooked.

After all this,you look at your budget and you may just find the right DAM solution!